Winesearcher can help, but these last few years I have mostly been buying sherry from the following:
- Cuatrogatos Wine Club – a brilliant bloke with access to sought after, small production wines of all kinds, and in particular from Jerez, Sanlucar and Chiclana
- The legendary Taberna der Guerrita can also supply hard-to-get wines by air, land and sea. Another great place to find the most exciting projects (and a must visit in Sanlucar)
- If in Jerez itself, I would recommend stopping by La Casa del Jerez – a small but perfectly formed little store with an excellent range of interesting wines.
- Reserva y Cata – a really interesting selection of sherries you won’t see elsewhere in Madrid, with some classics, some unique stuff, and overall a very well chosen stock of wines
- Vinoteca Tierra have two cracking locations, in Ronda de Segovia and Mercado de la Paz and have an absolutely top class selection of wines
- Enoteca Barolo – a fantastic bricks and mortar wine shop with friendly experts, an ever improving selection of sherries and some great catas. (This year they will be hosting a course on the wines of Jerez and Sanlucar involving no less than 11 two hour classes in 2 sittings of 30 people each: Bravo!)
- La Fisna, where you can try the wines by the glass at the bar and buy the bottle in back – and absolutely cracking wines too
- La Tintoreria Vinoteca – high quality sherries in a shop full of high quality and sought after wines
- Mares Vinos – lovely little corner shop (well, a shop on a corner) with a small but high quality selection of interesting sherries and a super friendly, “Sherry Woman” owner
- Bodega Santa Cecilia – one (two) of Madrid’s biggest brick and mortar stores. Really good range of sherries and an unfathomable loyalty system
- Lavinia – a fast growing franco spanish wine retail empire with an improving range of sherries – a little on the premium side pricewise but you can make up the difference by signing up and going to one of their special events (also in Barcelona)
- Vino & Compañia is a nice store near my office with a small but interesting selection of sherries at very good prices.
- Peña Delicatessen – a cracking deliatessen in the Chamartin market with a good selection of sherries (Barbadillo manzanillas en rama, Emilio Hidalgo to name but two) and normally a slice of ham and a glass of wine for a hungry shopper
Rest of Spain/Online:
- Vila Viniteca – one of Spain’s most important wine merchants, their flagship is in Barcelona but their online store is amazing and they organize great catas in a showroom in Madrid. Particularly good at the very high end, they also occasionally have bottle aged wines and other fascinating things
- Coalla Gourmet – I have mainly purchased from their online store but any chance you have to go to their fantastic space in Gijon you should do it. They have an excellent selection – in particular for fans of Equipo Navazos – excellent service, and also seem able to get their hands on interesting stuff (like the Williams Añadas)
- Idea Vinos – great online customer service from these guys, and again a sneaky good selection of sherries. In fact I have just seen a wine I have been looking for on there!
- El Petit Celler is a Barcelona based retailer with some great spaces and some really high end wines that has made a big splash lately. Well worth looking at
I am not an expert on buying wine in the UK by any means but UK sherry fines should have a look at Sherry Boutique, who have wines from independent producers Urium, Faustino Gonzalez, Callejuela, and Arfe